Re: How to find a reputable installation company

>> Where in the UL standard does it forbid hiring
>> an ex-felon to work in a central station or even
>> as an alarm installer?
>
> It does not, however these alarm companies
> are more likely to do business with "certain"
> customers who are quite picky about how the
> alarm company screens their employees...

Perhaps that's true but over the 24 years I ran a
small alarm company I think there were at most
two or three customers who asked if we were
bonded.  Although I didn't do banks, we had a
number of jewelry stores, lots of city government
clients and so forth.

I don't recall if anyone ever asked me how or
even if we screened our employees.  We were
a small company though.  I mainly hired people
who were referred to me by other employees
and sub-contractors.

> So the alarm company might design their
> hiring practices to get the business of these
> few customers...

They might be very careful, checking backgrounds,
giving thorough training, etc.  They might also
simply hire amyone who walks in off the street,
give them a few days' in-service training and turn
them loose.  I've seen both and that's from large,
UL-listed firms as well as small, mom-and-pop
outfits.

> But this is a good selling point for selling to
> *all* customers...

Agreed.  It sounds good to the prospective client
and that helps close a sale.

> "We do bla bla bla to screen our employees,
> etc. The other companies in town do not..."

I'd leave out the dig on the competitors.  That's
a major turn-off to most customers.  Just tell them
how great you are.  If they ask about another
company tell them, "They're a competitor.  I
prefer to let them stand or fall on their own merits."
Then continue with your presentation.  I guaranty
you will blow the bad-mouthers out of the water
99% of the time.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass