Re: List of sensors to get

> I am creating an list of sensors to by to protect the house.
>
> 1. What is a point of affixing window sensors other then to remind me
> that windows is open before I arm the system? Why would thief open a
> closed windows? It would be much simpler to break the glass and walk/
> crawl in w/out moving a frame. Specially if thief sees security
> sticker on the window, he/she would know NOT to move the frame

Good question.  The answer is that there are
a certain number of thieves who like to open
a window and climb in.  Clients sometimes ask
what percentage of break-ins happen that way.
One fellow I know used to answer, "When it's
happening 100%.  The rest of the time it's
0%."  :^)

If you're doing your own installation and the
job is hard-wired, the cost of window sensors
is minimal but you'll spend more time doing the
job.

> 2. Keeing 1 in mind, should I just get motion
> sensor for each area? Of course just having
> motion sensor would not be much use in the
> Stay mode, since I won't be able to walk
> anywhere in the house

I like to bug the windows and back that up
with a few glass break detectors, especially
near sliding or French doors.  I like to use
motion detectors sparingly as a second line
of defense.

> 3. And if I do have motion sensor, then do
> I even need a glass breaking sensor?

The two serve different purposes.  Glass
breaks can remain on whereas in most
homes motion detection is turned off at night.

> What is the best practice to properly
> protect the house?

There are probably as many different ideas
about what is "best" as their are technicians.
I've explained my preferred approach.  For a
DIYer the cost of full perimeter protection
isn't very different from some of the simpler
methods.  It does require more time to install
but for many folks that's not an obstacle.

If you were paying a professional to install
the system for you the cost of full perimeter
protection could be exhorbitant.  Labor is
often more costly to the installing company
than the materials.

If the system is to be wireless, the cost
component is inverted.  Labor is a small
portion of the job and materials get much
more expensive.

> I am installing system myself, but I had
> "consultant" from large security monitoring
> company come out. While nice, she was
> not really helpful other then stating get it
> all: glass breaking, motion, window
> contacts.

If she believes that is the appropriate
choice, then she was being helpful.  If it's
just for a bigger commission, that's
another story.  With smaller alarm
companies the salesman is often the
owner or at least someone with technical
skills.  Some of the nationals send out
people with "sales skill" but little or no
technical knowledge.  You might want to
talk to a few smaller, local firms before
making a final decision.

If you decide to DIY, please give my
website a browse.  I have a broad selection
of professional gear at competitive prices.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics