Re: WAY OFF TOPIC: Religion

> ...Christians don't base their faith upon
> logic, but rather (drumroll please) on faith.

That's the whole point of faith.  According
to the Christian Bible, faith is "the evidence
of things not seen."  What that means, in
essence, is that faith does not depend on
evidence.  The challenge is to believe, not
to prove.

It's a POV which makes debating the merits
of Christianity pointless for the believer.
Of course, there are still plenty of believers
who are willing to debate.  :^)

There's an interesting book by a guy named
C.S. Lewis called "Mere Christianity."  The
author wanted to examine the *common*
beliefs of Christians.  He ignores for the
most part the differences between various
sects and concentrates on those things
which all Christians have in common.  If
you're interested in learning it's a worthwhile
read, regardless what you believe.

CS Lewis was a philosopher who did not
believe in any religion at all.  He decided to
examine the Bible and various books on
Christianity for the purpose of proving to
himself and to others that Christianity is
a farce.  As he studied he gradually came
to believe what he was reading.  Lewis
eventually became one of the greatest
Christian apologists of the age, writing
numerous fiction and non-fiction books.
The first of his allegorical series, "Narnia
Tales: The Lion The Witch and the
Wardrobe" has been made into a popular
children's movie.

OK, this is totally OT so I'll drop it now.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics