Re: Acceptable time from walk-thru to quotation delivery

Roland Moore inspired greatness with:

>I can't remember a time when we did a bid for 8 cameras in less than 2 to 3
>weeks at the earliest.
>When it comes to bids, first there is always the person you talk to that
>thinks they're in charge. But they're not really in charge, you are. Mostly
>because they only think they know what they're asking for, or think they
>know what they're talking about. But they never do actually, you do. Where
>are the loses coming from? How can video help? What is the budget? Is the
>money in the security budget? Is it in the IT budget? Is it new
>construction? Is it existing construction? Are all the cameras in one
>building? Who is going to be watching it? Locally? Remotely? Both? What ISP
>are they using? Do they have a fixed IP address available? Do they use a VPN
>to gain access to their Intranet? Do they have layer 2 or 3 switches? Will
>you need a VLAN to avoid network bandwidth issues? Are they all indoor
>cameras? Are there PTZ cameras? Are there special lighting issues? Will
>there be a joystick? Multiple joysticks? Via a video switch or added to a
>PC? Does it interface with the access control system? Does it interface with
>a Point of Sale system? Will you use edge recording? Are there Mega pixel
>cameras? Will you have edge storage? How long do you need to archive the
>video? What is the bandwidth available? Will it be DVR, NVR or iSCSI storage
>or a combination? Will there be future expansion? Wall monitor displays?
>Public view monitors? Will there be analytics? At the edge in the encoder?
>On a server? On a device?

Hey!  That's a bad-ass checklist.  I'm going to have to plop those
questions down into a form for use onsite.  Yoink!

>I have been to many jobs where someone has had a "bid" ready in three days.
>It wasn't a bid, it was just an equipment list really with prices, sometimes
>not even line items, just a lump sum. Maybe it was a box of leftover parts
>or something he picked up up from the parts house where he used "one or two"
>like it before. No answers to any questions, maybe a cut sheet or two. When
>I am finished they throw all those other bids away.

So you've seen my bids, aye?

> If you are doing bottom
>rung, bottom feeder Everfocus, Speco, do it yourself Geovision or Insight
>Video or any number of garage based pseudo DVRs, then the "bid" doesn't
>really matter because there couldn't be that much difference in price
>between you and the next guy when the dollars amounts for that stuff are so
>low to begin with. If they buy that crap anyway then be happy; because they
>never will be. Come back in a few years (if they're still in business) and
>you'll get to rip all that garbage out and sell them a real system that
>actually meets their needs. You will get that opportunity because you're not
>a trunk slammer selling video like it was a "three doors and a motion"
>burglar alarm; but as a professional that flies to regular training, keeps
>current in the latest technology, works closely with the trainers and
>engineers at the factory to make sure they include the items you need to
>meet your customers needs. The factory respects you because you kiss their
>ass when they're right, and kick their ass when they're not. You pay your
>invoices on time. You don't call a factory technician to "walk you thru" a
>setup because you too lazy, or too stupid to read the directions, or don't
>want to be bothered by getting properly trained. In short you protect your
>interests by protecting your customer's interests.

Roland, not every situation calls for a $6000 NVR software and switch,
$1500 IP cameras, and encoders.  I know your company specializes in
high-end industrial, but it is just that, a specialty.  Since
Everfocus, Speco, and Geovision came out with mid-range DVR's; and the
price of decent cameras is lower a whole new market has opened up. Mom
and Pop stores that couldn't afford video before are now able to get
into a decent system that does everything they need it to.