Re: Acceptable time from walk-thru to quotation delivery

>I've been pretty busy and have some bids to do that are 3 days old

I can't remember a time when we did a bid for 8 cameras in less than 2 to 3
weeks at the earliest.
When it comes to bids, first there is always the person you talk to that
thinks they're in charge. But they're not really in charge, you are. Mostly
because they only think they know what they're asking for, or think they
know what they're talking about. But they never do actually, you do. Where
are the loses coming from? How can video help? What is the budget? Is the
money in the security budget? Is it in the IT budget? Is it new
construction? Is it existing construction? Are all the cameras in one
building? Who is going to be watching it? Locally? Remotely? Both? What ISP
are they using? Do they have a fixed IP address available? Do they use a VPN
to gain access to their Intranet? Do they have layer 2 or 3 switches? Will
you need a VLAN to avoid network bandwidth issues? Are they all indoor
cameras? Are there PTZ cameras? Are there special lighting issues? Will
there be a joystick? Multiple joysticks? Via a video switch or added to a
PC? Does it interface with the access control system? Does it interface with
a Point of Sale system? Will you use edge recording? Are there Mega pixel
cameras? Will you have edge storage? How long do you need to archive the
video? What is the bandwidth available? Will it be DVR, NVR or iSCSI storage
or a combination? Will there be future expansion? Wall monitor displays?
Public view monitors? Will there be analytics? At the edge in the encoder?
On a server? On a device?
I have been to many jobs where someone has had a "bid" ready in three days.
It wasn't a bid, it was just an equipment list really with prices, sometimes
not even line items, just a lump sum. Maybe it was a box of leftover parts
or something he picked up up from the parts house where he used "one or two"
like it before. No answers to any questions, maybe a cut sheet or two. When
I am finished they throw all those other bids away. If you are doing bottom
rung, bottom feeder Everfocus, Speco, do it yourself Geovision or Insight
Video or any number of garage based pseudo DVRs, then the "bid" doesn't
really matter because there couldn't be that much difference in price
between you and the next guy when the dollars amounts for that stuff are so
low to begin with. If they buy that crap anyway then be happy; because they
never will be. Come back in a few years (if they're still in business) and
you'll get to rip all that garbage out and sell them a real system that
actually meets their needs. You will get that opportunity because you're not
a trunk slammer selling video like it was a "three doors and a motion"
burglar alarm; but as a professional that flies to regular training, keeps
current in the latest technology, works closely with the trainers and
engineers at the factory to make sure they include the items you need to
meet your customers needs. The factory respects you because you kiss their
ass when they're right, and kick their ass when they're not. You pay your
invoices on time. You don't call a factory technician to "walk you thru" a
setup because you too lazy, or too stupid to read the directions, or don't
want to be bothered by getting properly trained. In short you protect your
interests by protecting your customer's interests.