Re: silent or audible

> Is silent or audible better for a burglar alarm?

Perhaps the question should be asked "Is silent or audible better for a
burglar"? Then your question answers itself.

>do police like to "catch" the perps with a silent alarm?

Only as much as the courts do in letting them go I suspect. Trying to get
the cops to walk with you through a big warehouse looking for the guy that
just broke in says to me they don't care much about catching a "perp". If
they don't happen to have the mutts available they generally won't even go
in, they just wait outside. You have to go in and find the bad guy and call
them. It isn't like what you see on TV. Ever tried to find a black guy
hiding in a tire warehouse in the middle of the night? I have seen the
police catch many suspects at the scene of a break in I have responded to.
It is rare that the ones arrested are not out within hours of being arrested
unless there is some other more serious pending charge or outstanding
warrant. In some cases the police routinely drop charges since it is so
expensive to keep certain folks imprisoned. Those with diabetes, heart
conditions, drug additions, etc. The notion that the police actually "care"
about such things is misplaced for the most part, it is just a job for those
that are not rookies. Police don't make any real effort to understand how
alarms function nor do they care to spend time developing a security system
tie in with effective policing. If you are a law and order type that is
trying to assist society by helping the police apprehend criminals,
installing a silent versus audible alarm is not the place to start.