Adding Ademco LYNXR Zone

I am having trouble adding some wireless zones to my Ademco LYNXR
series home security system.  I studied the manual, and I was able to
add 4 zones, and I believe they are configured correctly.  The system
seems to recognize the new zones, but I am getting sporadic false
alerts from some of the zones.

Another odd behaviour that I noticed is that when I reset the panel,
all seems well.  Then when I test one of the zones by opening a
window, the system recognises that the window is open, but when I
closed the window, the system does not recognize that the window was
closed.

At first, I felt that I had not placed the magnet close enough to the
transmitter, so I staged up a test platform, and placed the magnet
exactly where it is meant to be placed, and the system does not
recognise when the magnet returns to the "closed" position.

My second thought was that I am using old batteries in the
transmitters, but I think that my system is set up to recognise when a
battery is low.

My third thought is that I am using the wrong battery.  I added an
ADEMCO 5815 wireless transmitter, and used a 5899 battery.  The 5899
box says that it can be used on a 5700 series as well.  Maybe this is
the reason that I am seeing issues.

So,  based on all of that, I have 2 questions:
-Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve this?
-ADT is the company who monitors my system,  do I need to notify them
when I add a zone?