Re: fbi xl-4500

> worse...these guys didn't even use tape or beanies
> on connections above the ceiling tile...bare wires just
> twisted together. The doc got up there and put some
> temporary tape on the connections that were shorting
> out to the grid.
>
> Lick 'em and stick 'em morons

The funny thing about this is I've seen lots of "professional" installations like that.  The absolute worst of the large, nationals
was Sonitrash.  We took over many of their jobs and almost invariably had to rip out and replace everything.  There are also a lot
of independent dealers whose work isn't much better.

OTOH, most DIYers are extremely careful about their work.  That's likely because they're not just "doing a job."  They're protecting
their own homes and families.  If anything they tend to overdo the protection.  Sometimes they ask for a system that includes door
and window contacts, motion detectors and glass break detectors in every room.  I usually explain that it's not necessary to bug
every square foot, just make it more of a pain to rob their place than the neighbor's house.  :^)

The main reasons I hear from DIYers who don't want to buy a professionally installed alarm are that their previous systems were
poorly installed, inadequate (2 doors switches and 1 motion for a 3,500 sf home) and they falsed all the time.  The other issues are
price and recurring costs.

I sold a system yesterday to a homeowner.  He had been quoted ~$500 + $45 a month for 3 years or $1,500 plus $35 a month for 3 years
(weird math there).  That was one of the local "authorized dealers."  When he checked online he discovered that the "free" system
being touted by one of the other dealers as an "$1,800 value" actually retails for less than $400.  If homeowners knew how little
alarm companies are charged for monitoring service (between $2 and $7 per month) they'd be even more upset at the $45 monthly
charge.  One dealer we know charges $35 a month on a five year contract, installs a simple system that costs him ~$300 and charges
"only" $200 for the installation.  He also charges a mandatory $90 fee to connect the RJ31X telephone jack, which costs dealers $2.
That's $2,390 for 2 doors and a motion.  He uses a well-known central station from Linden, NJ.  Their fee is $2 per month.  His
costs:  $120 for 5 years' monitoring, $300 for parts and $100 (being generous here) for labor.  Total out of pocket for the dealer
is $420.  His markup is 570% -- not too shabby.

With markups in excess of 500% and workmanship like that, it's no wonder we get so many new DIYers every day.  I probably ought to
thank those guys.  It also explains why certain people here who work for monitoring companies with "authorized dealer" programs
constantly rag on DIY.  Perhaps they need to take some lessons from one of my DIY customers.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics