Re: Intresting alarm Commercail Cleveland TV

Matt Ion wrote:
> Frank Olson wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> So how does that work?
>>>
>>> The alarm goes off, central calls the premise, and listens in. If they
>>> don't hear anything ....... what?  the police arent called or they are
>>> called ..... but they don't respond?
>>
>> On AlarmFarce protected homes, you're supposed to properly identify
>> yourself if you're the burglar.  The scenario goes like this...
>
> I'd like to know how this differs from any other type of monitored alarm?
>
> The AlarmForce "brain" unit basically includes a speakerphone that dials
> the AF operator and blasts him through the room... as opposed to any
> other monitored system I've seen where they call back and expect someone
> to pick up the phone... like Frank's burglar here is going to be dumb
> enough to pick up the phone?
>
> And assuming he is that stupid... don't these other systems ask for a
> pass code as well?  Or do they just assume that anyone who DOES pick up
> the phone MUST be legitimate?  I really don't see a difference in
> procedure here.

There's a huge difference between what they say they do in their ads and
what really happens (for one thing).  I figure Bass wrote most of their
copy (or at least threw together a "help page" for Joel Matlin.

> No, I'm not defending AlarmForce or their business practices or the
> quality of their systems, I'm just pointing out that this argument is
> patently absurd.

The problem with most two way voice systems is that if the burglar does
answer they can usually keep the operator from even calling the police.

> And by the way... for someone on a tight budget who can't afford a
> couple of grand to have a "real" system installed in a rental unit that
> they're not going to be in forever... even an AlarmForce system is a
> hullava lot better than nothing.

I disagree.  An "Alarmfarce" system is completely unsupervised.  The
three I've removed weren't even wired to the phone correctly (no line
seizure).