Re: Do not go protection one

> Well...maybe we will or maybe we won't fix something
> that's not our fault...kinda depends. Whoever's
> equipment is installed first has right of way...

Often (though not always) the most logical place for a
transmitter is on the wall near the window with the wire
from a recessed or a miniature surface mount contact
buried in the wall.  The same applies to many door
transmitters.  When the window design permits this
approach will avoid most problems with blinds, shades
or whatever else the customer has.

That said, it is the contractor's responsibility (as a
professional, he should know that these things can
interfere with common window treatments) to ask
the customer if he plans to use blinds, shades or
whatever.  My windows have heavy, wooden shutters
inside them.  Since I installed alarms for a living for
many years, I know in advance what I need to do to
protect my windows without interfering with the
shutters.  The average homeowner does not.  It's
one of the things I routinely ask DIYers when
helping them choose an alarm system.

BTW, speaking of DIYers, tonight I walked a home
owner through connecting and programming his first
alarm system -- a Napco Gemini P9600.  He already
had the system wired up from earlier guidance.  It
took 35 minutes on the phone to guide him through
configuring the software, writing the program and
downloading it.  We spent a few minutes more
going over the siren driver hookup and a few misc.
details.  After that he tested everything, sent alarm
signals to his cell phone (prior to connecting to the
central monitoring station) and taught his wife to
use the system.  Tomorrow they start their vacation,
presumably spending some of the roughly $2,000
they saved on a "professional" installation.  Best
of all, they won't be posting horror stories about
Brinks, Monitronix, P1 or some "authorized dealer"
because the person who installed the system
actually cares about what he's protecting.

I suggested 911Alarm for the monitoring. They're
decent, honest folks and a number of my clients
have spoken well of them in the past.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass