Re: Oil Refinery

>> And also wrong.
>
> How so?

Your suggestion is to violate code by using non-plenum
cable in places where you know it is required.  Permission
from the client does not excuse you from code constraints.
It will also gain you a bad re with the AHJ.  If a customer
asks you to do something you know is wrong, explain why
it's wrong and that you don't want trouble with the inspector.
Also explain that they will not get a CO if they use the
wrong cable.  Anyone in his right mind will see it your way,
pay you to do it right and be happy that you saved him a
lot of unnecessary expense plus headache.  Any customer
who can't see that is someone you don't want as a
customer.

We get calls at least once a week from people starting
home day care businesses.  In many states they are
now required to install fire alarm systems, even in a private
residence, before opening for business.  The alarms are
basic -- pull stations ate all exit doors, strobe / horns in
the common areas and strobes only in the bathrooms.
At least once a month someone calls asking for a 110VAC
strobe/horn and pull stations, expecting to jerry rig a fire
alarm system.  I always explain why that won't pass code,
tell them what they actually need and explain how to wire
it.  Most are glad to get accurate information once they
realize their original plan would have been a waste.  A very
few insist they just want to "get by".  I decline the sale.
People like that cause more trouble than it's worth and I
don't need the sale enough to bother.  Neither do you.

I'm not trying to insult you, Matt.  But give this careful
consideration.  Do you really want to waste your time
dealing with a customer who is too cheap to pay you to
do the job right?  Imagine how much more trouble they'll
be when you ask for the final check.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass