Re: Att: Bob La Londe

> Wow, the M109 is a real handful of motorcycle Bob.
> A lot different than your Bergy. I would love a trip
> down through the Everglades with you next year. I
> will be in Florida from 15 Jan and down to Tampa
> area about 15th of March for a couple of weeks visit
> with a friend and his wife. It's only about 20 minutes
> from Sarasota, so I will be sure to get over there
> again to see your new ride. Plus I'll be around for a
> couple of weeks, so we could schedule a longer ride
> - maybe even an overnighter - if you are around at
> that time.

Yeah, it's definitely a lot mmore bike than the Burgman.
I just added some soft side bags to carry stuff.  Yhe
rainy season is upon us now so rides tend to get, um
interesting.  :^)

I do plan to be in Sarasota in January next year. It's
a great time for riding -- not very hot during the day.
We can do the Glades and then head to Miami --
maybe check out South Beach.

> My best riding buddy just got back into the riding
> game again after five years of absence. He spent
> a long time choosing his bike and bought a Bergman
> as well. He loves it but finds the ride a bit choppy
> for his 60 year old back. I think he's going to move
> to a Harley Softail which he seems to be talking
> about a lot these days. We're planning a trip down
> the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall providing he keeps
> a bike long enough for us to go...:))

The BRP is one of the most popular rides in the US --
lots of twisties and tons of gorgeous vistas.  If you
do the trip let me know.  Other than about a month
starting in mid-October, I plan to be in the US.  My
sister lives in Virginia about an hour from the Parkway.
I might join you if you like.

> Also, I understand Bob Lalonde's frustration in
> getting and keeping good people. I am lucky to
> have my son to do all the hard slogging, and he's
> a fine installer and excellent with people. And I
> know he won't be leaving me, since he will be
> taking over in the next couple of years as planned.

What a pleasure to work with your son.  Mine have
different interests.  One's in construction and the
other is an engineer.  They're doing fine but have
no interest in the alarm industry.  I'm considering
using a call center to handle simple orders plus
returns and customer service stuff.  That would
free me to handle tech support, more complex sales
and administration.  It will also provide someone to
answer the phone 24/7.  I'll have more time off as
well.  :^)

> Business couldn't be better !! We've reached out
> a couple of times to find good help, but trained
> people are just not available. There are subs out
> there, but I won't ever use them except in a dire
> emergency (and I don't have those). So we'll stay
> with what he can comfortably install each week
> and I'll continue to do the service and takeovers.

It really depends on who the subs are.  I had several
guys who worked with me for many years.  They
were reliable, hard-working and quite technically
competent.  I also paid better than anyone else in
the area so I wasn't worried they'd leave.

> Recently, I've become active in competitive action
> pistol shooting after intensive training to get my
> Black Badge rating. In the US they call it USPCA,
> but in Canada it's ISPC. I spent a bundle on a
> couple of high end 1911 Kimber's (45 and 9mm)
> plus the necessary gear to shoot competitively.
> I'm going through the onerous process of getting
> all the permits from the ATF to import them plus
> the ammo into the USA, and I hope to bring them
> down with me when I come. I have invitations from
> a number of shooting clubs in Florida...

Hmm.  One of the shooting ranges in Florida is a
customer of mine.  I provide them with automation
hardware to control targets.

> which is also handy if you also need to convince
> border guards you have no bad intentions (most
> of them don't have a clue what the laws are)...

Very true.  The biggest problems are with the TSA.
Airport security agents make all kinds of mistakes.
There's a funny scene in the movie, "Eight Heads
in a Duffle Bag" where a criminal wanting to sneak
past the airport security checkpoint slips a gun into
the pocket of a woman in front of him.  The guards
spot the gun, jump the woman and the crook slips
past the detector.  It seems a bit preposterous but
with some of the things I've seen, who knows.

> Surprisingly, the Canadian authorities are very
> helpful and easy to get along with, and I have
> the necessary permits to transport and compete
> within Canada now....it's a real blast, and the
> most legal fun I've ever had with a handgun. It's
> almost becoming an addiction.....:)))

The US has federal laws with which I'm sure you're
familiar.  There are also a maze of complicated
state laws regarding open carrying, concealed
carrying, carrying within a vehicle, etc.  It's no
problem if you stay in one place but traveling
around the country with guns on a bike could be
um, interesting.

> Good to hear things are looking up for you vis a
> vis the health situation. I look forward to meeting
> your wife next year when I come down too since
> she wasn't there the last time. I wish you well
> and hope all continues to work out for you.

Thanks.  Angela wants you to bring your wife so
the two of them can party while we're out riding.
You'll really like her.  She has a heavy accent and
a rich laugh.  If you're here on a weekend we can
all go to a Brailian club and do some samba
dancing.  After you've seen Brazilians dance your
eyes will never be the sme.  :^)

> Best wishes my friend

Same here.

--