Re: alarm system

> hi my question is simple i install cable and voip systems i havent had
> the chance to work o a house that has an alarm system. what is the
> basic connection to look for at the nid when i tie in the voip system?

If there's an RJ31X jack installed (there should be) for the alarm there will be a 4-conductor wire from the NID to the RJ31X, which
is located next to or inside of the alarm control panel.

The red/green pair will be connected to the incoming line.  The house phones, instead of being connected directly to the NID, will
be connected to the black/yellow pair coming back from the RJ31X.  If the alarm company used CAT5 you can usually substitute
white/blue and white/green for the red/green and black/yellow pairs.

Disconnect the red/gree pair from the NID and connect yout VoIP device's phone line output to those wires.

PLEASE!  Make certain you have the homeowner test the alarm system through to the monitoring station before you leave.  If there's a
problem, offer to reconnect the telco line until the customer and his alarm installer resolve it.  Otherwise you might be leaving
them with no security.  You don't need lawyer problems.  :^)

Best of luck.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass