Re: HD CCTV?

Chingas wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:24:07 GMT, Matt Ion <soundy106@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>>I think that's the one my boss already found... no, I'm not buying anything from
>>you.
>

> Atta boy...

Don't get too excited... I'm not hopping on the anti-Bass bandwagon just yet,
but I also don't like being pandered to.  Obviously I'm not just some DIY shmoe
dropping by here for Bass to sell stuff to.  I asked for suggestions, not sources.

> Anyway, does the customer *really* need 1080p????  Very few monitors
> will display it, and besides --- how much movement is happening to
> justify that kind of bandwidth?

Well, I finally got some more details on the "project".  It's a, uh... shall we
say, 'service facility' (no, nothing tawdry, just don't want to give away too
many details on a POTENTIAL client) where they want to display live events on an
existing big-screen flatpanel *and* projector within the facility.  Still
waiting for details on each to find out what they even have for inputs.

Of course, since we originally pushed the IP-camera idea, they've decided that
since they needed to have a computer anyway, they should also want to be able to
webcast AND burn off DVDs for the departing customers as well, but of course,
they want it all to be "easy", and I can't come up with any way to really do
this with an IP camera - recording to the PC and then transcoding and authoring
a DVD is just too time-consuming and not particularly mindless.

Tentative idea at this point is to use a Sony HDR-SR1, which can output via HDMI
(only one I've found so far with that capability) to the big display, record in
SD to an internal hard drive in MPEG-2 format (that can then be readily dumped
to the PC via USB for DVD authoring), and ultimately I suppose, streamed to web
through a simple video-capture box from the composite output.

Whether they REALLY need 1080p, I don't know... I guess it's more a matter of,
their existing TV is capable of it, so they want to use it all.  Frankly, I'm
not even convinced that they really even need better than SD, but hey, it's
their money - mine is not to reason why.

> Look around for the cams they use to 'film' documentaries on the
> Discovery Channel and such - the cams are surprisingly cheap.
>
> http://digitalcontentproducer.com/cameras/prods/
>

> Consumer grade HD:
> http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-Announces-Smaller-Less-Expensive-HDR-FX7-with-3-CMOS-Chips.htm

Thanks, I'll check those out...