Re: home security alarm system repair

Ranger American uses the cheapest wire I've ever seen...if you look at it
the wrong way it breaks...cheap cheap cheap krap.

"Robert L Bass" <robertbass1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
|> ... there are a few windows that do not
| > seem to arm when open or close...
|
| There are several possible causes to investigate.
|

| 1. Ranger American does a lot of tract homes in southern Florida.  If your
home is in this area, lightning is one common problem.
| It can freeze magnetic sensors (contacts) closed or open.  Mostly they
stay open though I've seen it both ways.

| 2. There could also be a break in the wire somewhere.
|
| 3. The panel or a zone expansion device could have failed though this is
less common.

| The panel is the easiest thing to eliminate so check it first.  Pull one
of the working zones off the panel and read its resistance.
| If it's less than 10 Ohms the system is not using end of line resistors.
If it's 1.0K, 2.0K or 2.2K Ohms (these are the most
| common), then EOL resistors are in use.  Either way, restore the good
zone's wiring now.

| If there are no EOLs short out the problem zone with a short wire.  If the
panel still doesn't show ready to arm, the panel is the
| problem.  If it does, go on to the next step.
|
| If there are EOLs in use, short out the problem zone with an appropriate
resistor and proceed as above.

| If the tech did a decent job there will be a service loop (extra wire) in
th wall behind the magnetic contacts.  You can pull them
| out and use a meter or continuity tester to see if the contacts themselves
have failed.  While bringing a magnet close to the sensor
| check the resistance between the leads.  If nothing changes the sensor
needs replacement.  They're cheap -- typically between $2 and
| $4 apiece retail.
|
| If the sensors are all working, temporarily short them out and see if the
panel will arm.  If so, the problem is a broken wire.