Re: mum's the word on howto tweak smoke detector

<hapticz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> average fire allowed to go unchecked will usually run
> you about $4000  to $120,000 to repair and rebuild.
>
> avg cost of new Walmart fire detector is about $8.00
>
> no brainer to figure  cost /risk advantage !

Main deterrent is spouse/friends deprecating the model
selected when it starts {or always did!} false-tripping
someday...  You guys here are savvy about alarms -- I'm
not so lucky.  And I like Walmart, I even use their $8 wrist
watches, but I'm well aware the itsy-bitsy battery won't outlive
the leather straps that used to cost me so much to replace on
my beloved Timex watches.  It's just a whole 'nother way of
life being a Walmart faithful customer.  Back on topic though,
I don't see any consumer reports tracking the false-alarm
long term characteristics / features of these units, which is all I
personally care about.  {Ok, they do mention a 'sleep while I
dump this ruined potroast' feature, but that's it.  And who's
really going up a ten foot ladder just to punch even _that_?}
And if you rent, one's own property cost and healt risks are
far outweighed by the sake of the {possibly many} neighbors'...