Re: CCTV Video issues

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:58:30 -0800, "Doug" <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Here is what I have seen in the past, its not so much that the power supply
>can't provide enough power, nor that the cable runs are so long that there
>is excessive voltage drop, but rather there is some sort of interference
>between the power and the video ground when powering multiple 12 VDC cameras
>from the same source. My experience has been that it occurs more when the
>cable runs are of greatly differing lengths. I believe it has something to
>do with the video ground and negative being common at the camera, but at the
>head end the video ground is probably tied to the chassis of the DVR and
>then to an electrical ground, while the power negatives are all common, but
>floating with respect to ground.

That reminds me of a situation I had.  I used some cheap bullet cams
one time and their chassis' were tied to video ground and power
ground.  The cams were mounted on red iron, when I pulled them off the
building and let them dangle (isolating them from the buildings' Earth
reference) the problem cleared up.

To S. Smith:

Might want to give that a try - sounds like a possible ground loop.

--
"As we know, there are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.

Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense news briefing - (Donald Rumsfeld)