Re: CCTV Video issues

Doug:

I agree that this could well be a power issue.  My confusion comes from
the distortions showing on both the closest and the furthest indoor
12VDC domes.  The closest shows no power drop while the furthest shows
a drop to 11.5VDC.

Roland:

I wasn't aware that breaker protected power sources were available.
We've always used fuse-protected power supplies.  That same in this
case.  I will take your advice on the camera-by-camera viewing to check
for ground faults though, it's something I'd forgotten about.  As far
as the CM1 & CM2, I'll let my boss decide, it's his money. ;)

Nick:

We did the voltage calculations before we started and although we are
close to the 4 amp capacity of the power supply, we aren't going over.
Besides, the distortion is only seen when viewed from the DVR, not at
the camera itself.  If it were a power issue, wouldn't it be evident on
both ends?

Matt:

I will double check the baluns as per your suggestion, but I'm pretty
sure we go them straight.  Solid color to +, striped to -.  The only
dual voltage cameras we have on the system are the "box cameras"
(Panasonic, lens sold seperately, gotta put it in an outdoor enclosure)
and they are working wonderfully and presenting the best pictures.  One
is even further out than the furthest dome (which is the one that looks
the worst).

haptictz:

You seems to know a thing or two I don't.  For instance, what is
voltage peak-to-peak, how do you measure it, and what kind of readings
am I looking for to indicate good, bad, or otherwise?  And for your
last question, no.  Fully half of the domes are mini-domes that can't
be that expensive while the others are fancier tamper-proof kind with
varifocal lenses and fully articulating inner mountings.. (very nice,
probably $200 a piece)  Would mis-matching NTSC and PAL generate this
kind of effect?

Thank you all for you input and look forward to hearing more
suggestions.  I won't be tackling this project again until next week,
but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.