Re: CCTV Video issues

S. Smith wrote:
> It's a big job... so we figured we'd do it right, but when everything
> was plugged in, it was so wrong.
>
> We ran everything in CAT5E and used passive baluns to make the
> connections.  Funny thing, the longest runs went outside of the
> building to "box cameras". They look great!  But the domes inside
> suffer from all kinds of distortion.  Even the closest camera at a mere
> 30ft!  We're powering them all from a 12VDC Altronix power supply.
>
> My first thought was interference caused by electrical cables or
> flourecent lighting.  But the outside cams take the same path as the
> domes without side effects.  This leads me to believe that there may be
> a power issue.  I'm wondering if the dome cameras don't have the "umph"
> to push the signal back to the DVR cleanly.  Suggestions?
>
> Lastly, I'm looking for a portable meter to measure video strength but
> I don't know what it's called to even begin searching.  Help?!

This may seem excessively simple, and is one of those things you'll think you
couldn't possibly have screwed up, and then end up smacking yourself in the
head... but check that the 'polarity' matches on the baluns on those distorted
cameras.  I'm not sure why, but it DOES matter with the baluns (the passive
ones, at least, I haven't used actives yet).

Checking the power is a good idea too - first thing to check is to measure the
voltage at the cameras, make sure it's not dropping too much.  A quick test with
a 24VAC wall wart will tell a lot (assuming the cameras support 24VAC) - I've
run into issues before where "dual-voltage" cameras wouldn't work for love or
money on a 12V supply.