Troubleshoot Ademco Vista 10SE NO AC

Our system keeps going back and forth from "NO AC" to AC.  The other
day it sent an alarm when it did that and the battery ran down.  What
can I do to troubleshoot this?  The system is probably 10 or 12 years
old.  Would a <failing> transformer cause behavior like this?  I am
trying to avoid a $75 service call if I can.