Re: Need monitor for focusing/position

Splat wrote:
> Still a greenhorn at this guys. I'm looking for a decent small monitor for
> camera focusing/position. I had a 7" lcd but it went crash the other day and
> that was that. I don't mind strapping a 9" b&w monitor to the ladder for
> ceiling work :-D  but an LCD would obviously be more compact. Methinks a
> tube monitor would give better results though. Thoughts, recommendations,
> opnions? Thanks.

When I started in this, I picked up a little portable TV with a 3" or 4" screen.
  Cost me $65 off eBay, did a passable job.  More recently, I saw a guy using a
portable DVD player with a video input and 7" screen and figured that was a
great idea, since they can be had for under $100 on sale these days.

In the end, I actually found one with a 10" swivel screen, and it's just
beautiful - the screen can turn around and lay flat, and it comes in a soft case
with a pair of clip-on straps that are ostensibly for strapping it to the back
of a visor or headrest, but work great for strapping it to the top of a ladder
so it doesn't fall :)

It's not as "sharp" as a CRT, true (unless you pay big bucks for a high-res LCD
designed specifically for the purpose), but it's more than sufficient for
aiming, and with a little practice the focusing works just fine.