Re: What's New?

I have been suffering through a big installation using Bosch BVIP X1600
modules and VIDOS. To save the customer money we agreed to having the
customer providing a boom lift and operator. Having that sitting idle for
four hours wasn't pleasant. It seems that the firmware in the X1600 got
corrupt and the envirodome PTZ went south,  both at the same time. Made us
look pretty stupid in front of the customer trying to troubleshoot our way
out of that mess. Now the customer can't decide on which giant plasma
monitors they want to use for the wall monitor in VIDOS so that element is
stalled. They are also crawfishing on the type of iSCSI they want on the
edge recording. At least they have the NVR NAS up for us to use (sort of).
They have legacy Samsung SCC-643 PTZ (the GVI crap) that we can't get to
talk with BVIP X1600 even using common Pelco P or D formats. For good
measure the Autotrack feature of the autodome doesn't seem to work right
unless you use a BiPhase converter. It is a always such a pleasure to see
profits tank from technical issues beyond your control. Three sites done and
about 40 to go. What a thrill.
Don't worry Jim, most of this gear Bass isn't allowed to sell so he can't
chime in. Not that it matters much. If this luck keeps up I'll be flipping
burgers somewhere.
I think I am going to give my brain a rest and do some upgrades of some old
Kantech Entrapass (DOS based) stuff to the new Windows Entrapass Corporate.
I can get rid of a dozen or so Win98 machines and use Lantronix converters
to put it on fast ethernet back to their head office.
There are a few more very big jobs using Software House and AD we are trying
to finish but can't keep ahead of the change orders. Any Legato experts out
there? Why can't a customer let us finish first, THEN give us the change
orders? I guess that's one way to avoid paying the final 10%.