Re: Should I have the alarm keypad installed in the coat closet?

"anonymous" wrote...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm going to have a fairly basic hardwired residential alarm system
> installed in my home. I'm thinking of having the installer mount it inside
> the coat closet by the outside door, instead of out in the open on the
> wall by the door, for two reasons: (1) This should prevent our young
> children from playing with it. With its buttons and lights, Im sure
> they'll want to play with it. If we mount it a bit out of their reach,
> they'll get a chair. If we mount it higher than they can reach with a
> chair, then my wife won't easily be able to reach it, and it will probably
> look strange anyway. (2) I've read that sometimes uneducated burglars,
> upon breaking in, immediately destroy the keypad or rip it off the wall,
> because they think it will prevent a call to the police. That would cost
> me money. If it's in the closet, I suppose they're less likely to find it
> or bother with it. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time.

i would suggest you ask the installer when he arrives... and before all the
wiring has been planned out... he'll have a good idea of whether or not the
keypad could be heard without having to try it out first... this will vary
greatly depending on the system being installed

i have a couple customers with their keypads in the closet by their entry
door... haven't heard of any false alarm problems from either of them

however, if you can't hear the entry delay beeps from the keypad, you will
very likely have problems with forgetting to turn it off when you come in

the other consideration is that it may be a pain to get to the keypad...
having to get into the closet and move coats out of the way every time you
use it