Re: Should I have the alarm keypad installed in the coat closet?

On Feb 24, 5:32 pm, Matt Ion <soundy...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> R-Guy wrote:
> > "anonymous" <nos...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> >>Hi everyone,
>
> >>I'm going to have a fairly basic hardwired residential alarm system
> >>installed in my home. I'm thinking of having the installer mount it inside
> >>the coat closet by the outside door, instead of out in the open on the
> >>wall by the door, for two reasons: (1) This should prevent our young
> >>children from playing with it. With its buttons and lights, Im sure
> >>they'll want to play with it. If we mount it a bit out of their reach,
> >>they'll get a chair. If we mount it higher than they can reach with a
> >>chair, then my wife won't easily be able to reach it, and it will probably
> >>look strange anyway. (2) I've read that sometimes uneducated burglars,
> >>upon breaking in, immediately destroy the keypad or rip it off the wall,
> >>because they think it will prevent a call to the police. That would cost
> >>me money. If it's in the closet, I suppose they're less likely to find it
> >>or bother with it. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time.
>
> > I have a 3 year-old and a 9 year-old at home and haven't had a problem with
> > them playing with the keypad.  Maybe if you spend some time to explain what
> > it is they won't think of it as a toy.
>
> That said, most keypads also have a door or cover of some sort you can close
> over the keys, which should help reduce the temptation.

If you cannot hear it warning you to disarm the system, then like the
other poster said, it might result in flase alarms when you fail to
disarm. If the walls ar thin enough, and the sounder builtinto the
keypad are loud enough, then why shouldn't you mount it out of view?
No reason not to. besides you can instruct the central to call you to
confirm an alarm b4 dispatching.
good luck