Re: What would you?

What small contractors (carpenters, roofing, home repair, etc) do is to make
an appointment and then not show up. Or say "I will get back to you", but
then don't call back. Or don't return their calls.

I know a few of these construction workers and have seen why they do this.
Sometimes they know the customer will be more trouble than it is worth.
Sometimes they are busy with a more profitable job and don't have the time.

Most of the time they were out partying the night before and are hung over!

I had a friend get new carpeting in a house they bought. The old carpeting
had cat/dog urine in it. The carpeting company REFUSED to remove the old
carpeting. They even had this written into their contract.

So I suppose you could also refuse to do any work there because of the
working conditions.