Re: swapping out a keypad?

On Feb 14, 2:27=EF=BF=BDam, "Tommy" <tommy at leesecurity.net> wrote:
> Bob,
> do those keypads have the little rubberbuttons with the carbon on the back
> to make the button circuit? =A0I don't use the gemini panels, so i have no
> experience. I have used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the circ=
uit
> board and get a little more life out of the keypad. usually just enough to
> get a new one in and schedule a service call.

I've done that a time or two, but the Napco keypads take awhile to
disassemble and put back together. There's a number of little pieces ,
LED masks, etc that all have to be lined up when you reassemble. Pain
in the butt and you don't know if it's going to work or not after all
the trouble of taking it apart.

A pencil eraser and a little bit of alcohol does the trick as far as
cleaning the copper trace on the mylar. The problem is, it's usually
the carbon that has worn away or sometimes the mylar is distorted ( I
guess from pressing the keys too hard) and makes contact, without the
key being depressed or it makes contact at the same time, when you
push an adjacent button.

Changing the numbers seems to be the most successful recommendation.
But eventually it's going to happen again.