Re: DLS 2002 driver

david wrote:

> I'm sorry that I sparked up your PETTY FEUD. I am quite happy to pay for
> the driver. But it lookslike it may be easier to replace the whole
> system with one that I can program via a PC

You didn't "spark" anything.  Bass is clearly in the wrong.  It's not a
"petty" matter when someone takes it upon himself to distribute
copyrighted material (regardless if it's "free" to him or not) and DSC
doesn't "send" the software to end-users (they used to provide it on CD
through their authorized distributors but now it's only available online).

Most manufacturers provide two sets of manuals as well.  One's directed
at the installer and the other at the end-user.  These are freely
available to both and supplied with the equipment (both are also
available online but the former usually requires a "dealer login" to
obtain).  On the older systems it becomes problematic as they're either
no longer supported, or the manufacturer's been "absorbed" by a larger
entity (as in the case of "Contronic" and "C&K" to name a couple).  Jim
Rojas at http://www.tech-man.com maintains an extensive online library
of manuals.  He's generous to a fault and a Prince among men.  He's
often volunteered the manual a poster asks for "gratis" but usually
charges a small fee for access to his site (and his extensive collection).

If you are an end-user, you won't be able to obtain the log-in necessary
to access the Dealer section of the DSC site.  Most Dealers view the
software as something they should only have access to (DSC makes it
abundantely clear that this is their intent by requiring the log-in).
In fact, most (if not all) of the manufacturers require a log-in.
You'll notice that Bass will "circumvent" the system any way he can
(this includes pirating the software to his own site).  He somehow
believes this makes his site "better" than the other online stores and
Dealers.  He'll probably provide free downloads (or links) to other
proprietory software if he figures out the way past the log-in
requirement (case in point is the Napco software).  There are a legion
of reasons he isn't much respected by the installation community.  If
you have some time, "Google" him.