Re: Arc Fault GFCI confusion

"Nick Markowitz Jr." <nick-markowitz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:pT6dj.2$4m5.1@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Here is the quickie on arc fault and gfci issues regarding Fire/burg
> systems etc. per new NEC 70  which seems to be causing confusion
>
> Arc fault protection is required if smoke alarms being installed in a
> bedroom are the 120vac type  if the smoke detectors are low voltage and
> attached to a fire/burg panel they do not need arc fault protection.
>
> If the outlet you are plugging the power supply for the fire/burg panel is
> in a bedroom area that outlet would need arc fault protection if it is new
> construction or newly installed.
>
> Regarding gfci protection if the fire/burg panel  power supply transformer
> is plugged in to an area such as unfinished basement ,garage etc which
> requires gfci protection.  A single purpose dedicated outlet just for the
> fire/burg system can be installed and does not need gfci protection so a
> gfci nuisance trip will not interfere with system operation.

Nick, I have experienced that GFI breakers tend to have a much lower
incidence of nuisance trips than GFI receptacle.  The price however tends to
be much higher, and since most new homes require 2-4 GFI circuits depending
on configuration the cost will add up, so being the ever wise masters of all
things with wire the electricians don't seem to use them.

--
Sincerly,
The guy who makes the final decision

The Security Consultant