Re: How to locate 22/4 jacketed buried in wall.

UPDATE!!

I had an issue today that required me to redo my blown rig.  Then I realized
that I had a 10 ohm wirewound load resistor across the leads at the output
of the siren driver that I forgot to mention previously.  I was using a
driver board from a dead flush mount ATW siren.  Driver was good but the
speaker was dead.  It is the long skinny board that is mounted on the grill.

Again make sure the wire you are looking for is not shorted before hooking
up.

If you have the time and want to experiment a bit try this.

I used one of these.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062291&cp=2032058.2032230.2032267&parentPage=family

Depending upon the siren driver try putting two of the above in parallel.
It will give 5 ohm load.  It should make for a stronger output thus a
greater distance or range.  May not be necessary but it would depend on your
challenge.

Today my challenge was to find a open cavity from the 2nd floor to the a
basement crawl space.  I took a box of 22/2 and stripped the end of the
wire.  Taped back one lead and stripped the insulation off the other about
3" worth.  Used a 1" spade bit as a weight and looped the bare wire thru the
hole in the spade bit, this would make a bigger target.  Taped it off and
dropped the bit into the open cavity.  Then connected my new tool at the box
tab end of the wire coil.  Went to the basement with my probe and the tone
was audible in a 12" - 14" area with a very loud sweet spot.  Job done!!!

Hope this helps someone in a jamb.

Good luck and someone let me know how the 4 or 5 ohm resistor works.

Later,

Les