Uplink Network/Line costs?

If a monitoring company says they support uplink for a fee, does this
imply they are supplying the network/line that uplink needs to place
the call?

How does this work? Uplink is hardware. who supplies the network?

What's a fair price to add uplink coverage beyond the hardware and
install?

Is the monitoring station having to do anything special because you
are uplink?

Any alternative options to uplink? If the goal is to deter somebody
from stopping the signal. on option of have the telephone company run
the phone line higher in my roof requiring burglars to climb on my
roof.. Also I hear Direct tv will be offering satalite DSL (possibly
thorugh blue sky or something), but the idea of being completely line
free (including going VOIP) is kinda cool.

Thanks for any suggestions.