Re: the police was dispatched to ... the wrong house

> So it's the CS that's cheap?...

Yes, but alarm companies are also at fault.  Neither
wants to spend a little extra to do it right.

> You gotta let the chemo drugs wear
> off a bit before the stupid replies!

Poking fun at someone for undergoing treatment
for cancer has to rank as about the stupidest
reply yet.  You've managed to bring yourself
down to Jiminex' level because you can't debate
an issue on the merits.

> The CS is in business to make money. Plain
> & Simple...

Figured that out all by yourself, did you?

> ...pay for how much you service you want.

The difference is that cable TV companies offer
various service levels to every customer.  They
publish a list of offerings and let the customer
know what is available.  Most alarm companies
don't even mention daily test as an option.
Furthermore, I believe that daily test and Caller
ID monitoring should be included at no extra
cost to help solve this kind of problem, among
others.

> Same with CS's. Pay a basic amount for burg
> & supervisory, add more for open/close, more
> again for supervision, more again for daily tests...

Central stations charge dealers between $2 and
$7 per month for each account.  Dealers then
mark the service up to $25-$0 per month and
resell it to end users.  There is plenty of margin
in there to cover the cost of daily tests but alarm
dealers are too cheap to cover it.  The central
stations are likewise too cheap to include it in
the basic fee so customers are left in the lurch.

> After all it is usually the CS paying the tel bills
> and they have to charge you more if you're
> going to call them more. Long distance may
> be cheaper today than 10 years ago, but it's
> not free.

As Leuck pointed out, 800 number costs are
not the problem.  When a large CS runs several
T1 lines, the cost per call is a fraction of a cent.
On a monthly basis it's not even a dollar per
account.

> And I don't really care how you USED to do it.

And yet you try to argue about that very subject.
Seems you care very much.  :^)

> If your CS was as good as you say - and we all
> know how truthful you are - you would have sold
> it and made enough money to take a permanent
> vacation in Brasil.

I did sell it.  The business wasn't large enough to
retire though.  However, I manage to make two or
three trips a year to Brasil.  We have a second
home there.  I'll be down again this fall fishing in
the Amazon forest.  Hope you're doing as well.

> But obviously that's not the case. You don't
> monitor alarms anymore and that's a fact you
> can't deny, although I'm sure you will.

Why would I deny it?  I sold the central station
and all the accounts with it.  That's no secret.
One of the nicest things about *not* running a
central station any more is that I have the freedom
to travel whenever I like.  In the old days we hardly
ever took a vacation and when we did it was never
more than a week.  Now I bring my laptop and a
VoIP phone to Brasil, plug them in and I'm able
to work a few hours each day, staying there for
several months if I like.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass