Re: NRA

Making such a tragedy into a political message is insensitive as well
uncouth, especially when the period of mourning is so close at hand, and the
time for healing has yet to begin. A similar event happened in Killeen,
Texas in 1991 when George Hennard killed 23 people and wounded 20 before
committing suicide. The response of the citizens was to vote to allow
concealed handguns for nearly anyone who wished to have one, instead of
proposing vigorous gun control. In either case, it suggests there was
something that could be done by someone to prevent this horror, and implies
a blame on someone other than the actual perpetrator. Whether pro gun
ownership or pro gun control I feel it is too soon to dwell on those
details. A disturbed individual can almost always find a way to act out his
or her plan. There is no sane plan I know of  to reliably detect and subdue
the actions of the suicidally insane. And being in this industry especially
we should all know that.
If news reports are to be believed, this person signaled his angry and
disturbed state in classroom writings, in a similar fashion to Charles
Whitman with his own psychiatrist. Although in both cases action was taken,
it was inadequate to face the magnitude of carnage ultimately  inflicted. I
am sorry Robert, I can not hear your shrill voice for in my mind it is drown
by the awful low murmur of sorrowful grief, and covered in a pall of an
anguish we all hope never to know.

Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin

"An extremely quiet child" they called you in your school report
"He's always taken interest in the subjects that he's taught"
So what was it that brought the squad car screaming up your drive
To notify your parents of the manner in which you died

At St. Patrick's every Sunday, Father Fletcher heard your sins
"Oh, he's unconcerned with competition he never cares to win"
But blood stained a young hand that never held a gun
And his parents never thought of him as their troubled son

"Now you'll never get to Heaven" Mama said
Remember Mama said
Ticking, ticking
"Grow up straight and true blue
Run along to bed"
Hear it, hear it, ticking, ticking

They had you holed up in a downtown bar screaming for a priest
Some gook said "His brain's just snapped" then someone called the police
You'd knifed a Negro waiter who had tried to calm you down
Oh you'd pulled a gun and told them all to lay still on the ground

Promising to hurt no one, providing they were still
A young man tried to make a break, with tear-filled eyes you killed
That gun butt felt so smooth and warm cradled in your palm
Oh your childhood cried out in your head "they mean to do you harm"

"Don't ever ride on the devil's knee" Mama said
Remember mama said
Ticking, ticking
"Pay your penance well, my child
Fear where angels tread"
Hear it, hear it, ticking, ticking

Within an hour the news had reached the media machine
A male Caucasian with a gun had gone berserk in Queens
The area had been sealed off, the kids sent home from school
Fourteen people lying dead in a bar they called the Kicking Mule

Oh they pleaded to your sanity for the sake of those inside
"Throw out your gun, walk out slow just keep your hands held high"
But they pumped you full of rifle shells as you stepped out the door
Oh you danced in death like a marionette on the vengeance of the law

"You've slept too long in silence" Mama said
Remember Mama said
Ticking, ticking
"Crazy boy, you'll only wind up with strange notions in your head"