Re: DSC Keypad modbus protocol

> I want to start a home automation project
> and want to hook my DSC alarm into it to
> create a "virtual keypad" kan anyone help
> me out with the protocol for the keypad bus?

Len,

That is outside the skill set of participants here.
This newsgroup is a place for installers, end
users, retailers selling DIY alarms and an
occasional manufacturer's rep.  No one from
DSC has participated here in 8 or 9 years.

You'd need to contact DSC for the information
you seek.  Unfortunately, they're not likely to
disclose much.  Very few alarm manufacturers
are willing to share things like that.

There's a better (or at least easier) way you
might want to consider.  DSC makes an
inexpensive dongle to connect their alarm
control panels to a PC.  It is used to program
the system but you may be able to get zone
and system status, alarm events, etc.,
through it as well.

There are other manufacturers such as ELK
Products and Napco who not only make a
hardware interface for their panels.  They
publish protocol documents to facilitate home
automation development by third party sellers
and even homeowners.

I carry DSC, Napco, ELK Products and
most other major brands in my online store.
Feel free to contact me if you need help.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics