Re: Need Help with odd Ademco Vista 20P problem

Katerina wrote:

>On Apr 15, 1:20 pm, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon <n...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> safechec...@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> >Hi.
>>
>> >I have anAdemcoVista20P, using ADT monitoring.  I have had the
>> >system a couple of years with no changes made to it.
>>
>> >For the past week, on about half of incomingphonecalls, after one
>> >ring thealarmboard is answering the incoming call, giving the caller
>> >about 2 seconds of a data squeal, then hangs up on them.  Again, this
>> >happens only in about half of calls that are made to me, and it just
>> >started about a week ago.  I know it is thealarmboard doing this,
>> >because I can hear the relay click when it answers the call and hangs
>> >up.
>>
>> >MyVista20P is very simple - nothing fancy...
>> >-8 zones (all wired, no wireless) just doors and a few motion
>> >-No X-10, nophonemodules, no PC downloading setups, no wireless.
>> >-Made no recent changes to phones orphonelines in house.
>>
>> >I rechecked lines on the RJ31X and everything appears OK, and wired
>> >properly.  Line seizing capability works fine in testingalarm
>> >system.  No line work was been done on the phones or thealarm.
>>
>> >On a whim, even though I do not use pc downloading with myalarm, I
>> >viewed the settings for *95 and *94 and it is set to 15 rings, with no
>> >downloadphonenumber (which I believe is correct.)
>>
>> >Except for having the entire control board replaced, I am stuck for a
>> >solution as to why thealarmwould answer half of myphonecalls
>> >(after 1 ring) and give a squeal then hang up.  Frustrating. Looking
>> >for a solution or a way to bypass please.  Thanks!
>>
>> Set *95 to '14'.  This will disable the answering machine defeat -
>> which is why the panel is picking up (someone must be calling and
>> hanging-up, then calling back).- Hide quoted text -

>THANK YOU APU - That did it.  I set *95 to 14 and it worked.
>P.S., just curious - any idea why it just recently started to answer
>incoming calls - possible change in Telco's ring voltage??

I dunno.  Maybe ADT was trying to contact your panel, did you request
a download or perhaps forget to pay the bill?

To be honest, I regret posting advice on changing programming on a
monitored system.  It was only after I hit -send- then re-read your
post that I noticed you were still being monitored.  You should call
ADT monitoring an put the system on *test*, then thoroughly test your
alarm to make sure the signals are still coming in.