Re: Looking for continuous, encrypted central station alarm monitoring with line cut detection

Beachcomber wrote:
*snip*
> Apparently, POTS dialers are used in most alarms and almost all
> police departments require permits, separate alarm monitoring
> companies, etc.

POTS is certainly the most common communication path, but the industry
is slowly waking up to the fact that more and more households cancel
their old-fashion analog lines, and use cellphones or VoIP.

*snip*
> Back in the 70's, Admeco had a super-secure and encrypted central station

Honeywell (yes, they acquired Ademco '99) still runs AlarmNet.
AlarmNet is encrypted from the communicator back to Honeywell's central
station, but from there it's routed back to the alarm CS through
regular POTS using ContactID.

*snip*
> Is there an equivalent of this system today?

We have a general purpose communicator/controller that uses AES over
both POTS; http://www.interopix.com. It's more geared towards industrial
monitoring/remote control, but could also work as an add-on to an
existing controller, or with some DIY spirit you could put some burg
logic in it;)

</A>