Re: Why I Don't Do Service for Other Companies

Roland Moore wrote:
> I don't know if I'd own up to that.
> You might want to read the NFPA book again but my memory says one in the
> bedroomroom and one adjacent [hall] (some exception for small apartments).
> On fire especially its all rule driven. Find the right occupancy rating etc.
> and go from there. There is a dB standard to meet of the head in the bed.

Ok now ....... so the customer says ...... no, I mainly wanted a
security system so I wouldn't get burglarized again and I can't even
afford that. So, I can't afford to put smoke detectors in bedrooms,
halls and on each level.  So just for SOME protection,  put one at the
top of the stairs, in the hallway outside of the bedroom.

What do YOU say?

No, ..............it's either all or nothing at all ?

In aftermarket installations, does the customer have the final say,
regardless of what is "recommended" ?

Is there REAAAALLY a mandatory code that says it MUST be done one way
and it cannot be left up to the descretion of the homeowner?

 I don't know if there are mandatory rules in your area, but I've never
heard of that, when it comes to aftermarket residential installations.
If it's a new home, or an addition ...then that is usually goverened by
the regulations of the building department, not the Fire Marshal  and
not specifically NFPA or UL or ANSI or any other recommendations are
necessarily followed. It's up to the AHJ. And the electrician is
required to install the required smokes and CO detectors .... not an
alarm company. I'm pretty sure it's common that in the aftermarket
alarm installations, it's completely up to the homeowners
descretion/pocketbook.
YMMV