Re: Can anyone help me?

KLee said:

>For over 30 years our Central Station has monitored our own banks and
>ATMs, now all of a sudden I've got a new boss at the helm and he
>doesn't understand why we are not UL listed?
>
>Trying to explain that Banks are federally regulated and insured, and
>within the Bank Protection Act we simply need to have our alarm system
>be capable of alerting the police or fire to respond, and that there is
>no requirement federally or on the state level where we would have to
>pursue UL.
>
>Can anyone give me some direction as to where I can go that gives a
>clearer understanding of why federal banks that maintain their own
>central station that monitor only their banks, ATMs or offices are not
>required to be UL listed?  Is there anything that you are aware of that
>the State of Michigan or the State of Illinois requires?
>
>When I spoke to the UL Listing Agent, the first question he had for me
>is why are you pursueing this?  I've yet to see any Bank that monitors
>their own alarms, such as Wachovia, Bank of Hawaii, Fifth Third,
>Comerica, and the list goes on where they have gone through UL Listing
>their central station.

You are, of course, correct, unless you monitor fire.  I'm guessing that
your new boss may be used to dealing with Diebold, which pays UL a lot of
money every year.  Or, he may be from the private sector, where UL listing
for a central station is standard for most professionally run central
stations.

How do you convince your boss it isn't required?  For starters, have him
look through the online UL certifications directory and see if he can find
any banks.  Next, point out the costs associated with becoming UL listed.
Does the building in which your central station is located have a Class A
fire-resistive roof?  That's just for starters.  Meeting UL's construction
requirements can cost a pile of money, in addition to UL's initial
inspection fees.  And don't forget the annual listing fee, and the minimum
one-half day a year you will spend with the UL inspector.  Banks hate
spending money on stuff that isn't necessary.

Still, I think you'd be wise to meet as many of UL's requirements as you
can, without breaking the bank, so to speak.  There's a reason those
requirements exist.

- badenov