Re: New home, new alarm... major co. or independent?

On 15 Sep 2006 14:57:16 -0700, canyonblue@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I don't want to start the never ending debate about ADT vs. Brinks vs.
>Independents. I used the search function and I see what is going on
>with that. All that said I do have some questions that hopefully can be
>answered without starting a firestorm.

ADT uses a slightly modified Honeywell Vista 20P control panel for
almost all residential sytems.  This is one of the most commonly used
panels by quality idependent alarmcos as well, so the equipment is
going to be about the same in most cases.  I'm not sure what Brinks
uses, but I think it's some type of proprietary equipment.   If you
want to go the home automation route with integrated security, that's
a whole different game.  As far as picking a company, references from
people in your local area are the best source.  The two most important
factors are the quality of installation and the timeliness of service
after the sale.  You also want to check into exactly who will be
monitoring your alarm signals.  Some independents operate their own
monitoring stations, but most contract to a third party.  Make sure
who ever it is operates a UL listed central station.  While not
foolproof, a UL listing gives you some reassurances that the station
has at least some quality control.  If you choose to go with a
national company, make sure you are dealing with a corporate branch
office and not some authorized dealer.  Again, that should offer at
least some measure of quality control.  Hardwired systems are
generally more trouble for the alarmco to install,  but less trouble
for the homeowner to maintain.  Make sure whoever designs the system
layout knows what they are doing and that the installer knows what he
is doing.  Finding people that view this as a craft is difficult, but
it's important that the installation be done right.  It's not rocket
science, but there are a lot of tricks of the trade that can mean the
difference between a reliable system and a false alarm nightmare that
doesn't work when you need it.  The best thing is to get mulitple
quotes and compare the designs, pricing, and equipment offered by each
company.