Scantronic 9751 internal sounder/fire detector

About two years ago, we had a Scantronic 9751 alarm fitted to our
house. There are 8 zones - zone 8 is a CO fire detector.

When the fire detector is activated, the manual says that the keypad
and internal sounder sound a "warbling" tone.

However, only the keypad makes a noise, and the internal sounder
doesn't go off when the fire detector is activated.

This is a problem because the keypad only sounds a very quiet alarm,
which wouldn't wake anybody up, and more likely - because the alarm is
linked to a monitoring station, if the fire alarm goes off, we might
not hear it in time to cancel the false alarm and stop the fire brigade
coming (as has already happened).

I think it is because there is no "speaker" - the internal sounder is
just a siren which probably is only able to make one noise. But surely
the alarm doesn't comply to the relevant safety standards if the alarm
doesn't go off properly when the fire detector is activated.

Does anybody know why this is - or how we can get around it?