Re: OT: Burgman 650

> Yes, I don't doubt that your Burgman can easily
> keep up to most of the cruisers on the market.
> The new breed of scooters are something quite
> different from what most people think of as
> scooters....

One nice thing about them is that most police seem to think they're all Vespas.  They pretty much ignore you unless you do something
really stupid.  :^)

It's not as fast top end as a big cruiser but that's really not an issue.  I'm not interested in serious speed.  I like to cruise
along on back roads, find scenic places (there's lots of them around here) and just enjoy the wind and the freedom of riding.  I'll
leave those crotch rockets to the young kids.

> They are now the biggest sellers in North America
> for companies like Yamaha, and I expect that
> model selection will only increase with time as
> more and more people who normally wouldn't buy
> a motorcycle for whatever reason, will buy a scooter.

I was actually considering a motorcycle but I chose the scooter because I like the look and feel of it.  The seat is very
comfortable and there's room in the hatch for two full-face helmets, my JR jacket and a mess of other stuff.  The one thing that's
missing, which I liked on the bikes I rode during the MSF course is there's no place to "hug" the bike as you corner.  I found it
easier to turn and swerve by locking my knees against the motorcycle.  On a scooter there's nothing in the middle.  Anyway, as I'm
getting used to riding it's getting easier to make it do what I want wiothout having to think maneuvers through.

> And if Honda does come out with their rumoured
> 900 cc four cylinder scooter, I suspect there may
> be many other converts from conventional
> motorcycles to this new breed of scooters (perhaps
> even me...)

Heh, you have to trailer it down here and go riding with me one of these days.

> ...Personally, I really don't know what use 168
> horsepower in a 400 lb bike serves unless you enjoy
> tempting fate at 200 mph. That's BIG ticket country
> for sure !!!!!.

I think that is exactly the point.  Some folks just have to dare the wall to hit them or they don't feel like they're alive.  I
figure let the wall stay where it is and I'll drive past it.

> However, no matter what you drive, it's really all
> about "what turns your crank" not what make or
> model you drive !!

Yep.

> I'm in the process right now of putting my bike away
> at the dealers for the winter (sniff..), until I take it out
> of storage on 12 January to head south.

A pal of mine is coming down next month, right after I finish my chemo.  We're going to rent a bike for hm and do some touring
around central Florida.  When you come I hope you'll find time to make it down to Sarasota.  I'd be much pleased to finally meet
after all these years.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass