Re: CCTV at night

Charlie Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> OK, I didn't do my homework very well.  I have a digital video recorder with
> one wireless miniature camera attached, I did this initial set up because I
> wasn't sure how good it was going to be.  It works fine but has a range of
> about 20m instead of the 100m spec, but the signal is going through a couple
> of walls.  I now want to add cameras to it (3 more spare ports) but the
> dealer tells me I need IR cameras if I want to record at night, they all
> look a bit chunky and I like the discrete miniature type.  Is there a way
> where I can use the miniature cameras but use separate IR lighting?  The
> dealer says you can't do this, you need the IR cameras.
>
> Can anyone help?
>

> TIA
>
> Charlie Brown

No one seems to have remembered to mention that not only are
"inexpensive" cameras not going to give you a good night picture .....
they also don't have "day/night" capability.
Even good color cameras don't do too good at night, even with infra red
illuminators. Mfg's produce cameras that will convert to black and
white cameras at night. Black and white cameras detect infra red
illimination much better than color cameras. In some cases giving you
much more than a two fold better picture than a color camera.  Also,
even "day/night" cameras have a problem of staying in focus in both the
day and the night conditions. Better cameras provide compensation for
this.

I do cameras ....  but truthfully .... I don't think they have much
value. Usually you just wind up with a video of a complete stranger
breaking into your house. No one will ever identify him. You can only
hope that if the police keep the video that someday they may catch
someone and remember that he's on your tape.

In my opinion ....your best bet is good lighting, good locks, make your
home look occupied when it's not, some lawn signs or window stickers
and a reasonable security system. Then if you want to add some video
.... go for it.