Re: Brinks vs. Tech-man.com

Crash Gordon wrote:
> Wow, they're setting you up. I hope you are NOT responding on your own, but
> with an attorney.

> The copyright issue will be the nasty one. The rest is kinda bullshit.

Only if he charges for the manuals.  They're freely available as PDF's
all over Internet and Usenet (heck, I'd even post 'em on
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com if I had 'em).  As to Brink's "owning"
the equipment...  The agreement is between the homeowner that arranges
the installation and Brinks.  If the homeowner sells the house (and
Brinks fails to remove the equipment within a reasonable amount of
time), it's considered "abandoned".  If the new homeowner wants to take
over the equipment, that's their business.  In other words, the contract
does not (and cannot) bind the new homeowner to using Brinks to
"service" any equipment left on the premises.

If Jim has come into possession of a Brinks programmer and decides to
"rent" it out, that's his business.  It's up to Brinks to provide proof
of actual ownership of said programmer (they'd have to charge every
employee that failed to return one with theft to make it stick).  Their
"logo" on the equipment has no more weight regarding "proof of
ownership" than "DSC's", "Maytag's", "Zenith's", "Ford's", etc., but
"Property of Brinks" (with a "return if found" address or toll-free
phone number) certainly would.

The Patent is certainly valid, but that doesn't infer ownership of the
equipment either, only the "technology" behind it and the ability to
produce (manufacture) more.