Re: CCTV at night

Matt Ion wrote:
> Charlie Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> OK, I didn't do my homework very well.  I have a digital video
>> recorder with one wireless miniature camera attached, I did this
>> initial set up because I wasn't sure how good it was going to be.  It
>> works fine but has a range of about 20m instead of the 100m spec, but
>> the signal is going through a couple of walls.  I now want to add
>> cameras to it (3 more spare ports) but the dealer tells me I need IR
>> cameras if I want to record at night, they all look a bit chunky and I
>> like the discrete miniature type.  Is there a way where I can use the
>> miniature cameras but use separate IR lighting?  The dealer says you
>> can't do this, you need the IR cameras.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>

> You don't need cameras with built-in IR illuminators, but you do need
> cameras that can pick up the IR illumination.  As Bass noted though,
> large high-power illuminators can be expensive.
>
> How about just using a motion-activated flood light?  Your mini-cams
> will be a lot happier with that, and you'll be a lot more likely to
> simply scare the bad guys away with that.

I agree.  The motion floods are the "better idea".  Quartz-halogen
floods will allow you to employ color cameras (rather than black and
white) which will make identifying the "perps" easier for the Police.

If you want covert surveillance though, infra-red illuminators are the
only way to go.  They're cost increases with the distance to the object.
  Using a cheap camera with them isn't going to avail you much, however.
  You'll "see" a blurry object wielding another blurry object trying to
get into what appears to be your blurry back door.  :-)