Re: Press "1" for English

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:56:32 -0700, "alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Yeah. It's too late though. Not enough men in government now. I don't mind
>that they're crooks so much, I just wish that they had some balls.
>
>Who said this:
>"If I had inherited the mess that Johnson got into, I would have said to
>North Vietnam, by dropping leaflets out of B-52s, 'You quit the war in three
>days or the next time these babies come over they're going to drop some big
>bombs on you.' And I'd make a swamp out of North Vietnam ... I'd rather kill
>a hell of a lot of North Vietnamese than one American and we've lost enough
>of them,"
>
>and this:
>     "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more
>efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote
>welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to
>repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones
>that do violence to the Constitution or that have failed their purpose, or
>that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not
>attempt to discover whether legislation is ``needed'' before I have first
>determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later
>be attacked for neglecting my constituents "interests,'' I shall reply that
>I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I
>am doing the very best I can."
>
>and of course:
>"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And
>let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no
>virtue."

Wow, I didn't know that about Goldwater.  Wouldn't have mattered as I
wasn't born yet.

>I wonder where we would be if he had been elected president  in 1964 instead
>of LBJ.

That's a damn good question.  I've always looked back at Johnson's
presidency  as a complete failure and a crucial turning point for our
country.  Of course Nixon was no better.

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)