Re: Suggestion for box where alarm monitoring failovers from landline to cell phone - when landline is cut.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:47:54 GMT, "Roland Moore" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I think the trouble in the first place is the customer suspects he is
>getting poor customer service or value for the dollar he is spending with
>his current provider for some reason.

Yeah, all customers think they are being ripped off nowadays because
they think security equipment should be free.  We have ADT, Brinks,
and a few others to thank for that.

> I am not familiar with the company you
>mention so I don't know if that is typical or not.

All contacts are about the same, they say in some form or another
"don't fuck with the equipment".

> I have spent far more
>time than quoted getting wireless back up systems to work properly and
>sometimes feel lucky if I break even. I suspect you may have too. I don't
>see them as a big revenue source but more of an extra service to a customer
>that wants one.

They can be a nice form of RMR, you add to the monitoring fee.

> I have not installed that many personally, probably 50 if I
>were to count. Unfortunately not 50 of one type or brand. There is (old)
>Radionics Radio, (older) Adcor, DSC Skyroute, Telugard, Alarnet C. Uplink,
>etc. Now because of the AMPS sunset thing I have an additional dozen or so
>Uplink 1500s to swap out and get back for credit before Nov 6, 2006.
>Although the concept of wireless backup is simple enough, of all the items
>that are easy for an end user to install this whole product category
>probably isn't one. I almost always end up with a butt set in one ear
>checking signals and a cell phone in the other with tech support, especially
>if there is a silent panic or medical to send.

You thoroughly test the unit before you leave, something an end-user
doesn't know how to do.  As far as I know NO cell or radio backup
manufacturers provide end user support.  When our company switched
from Alarmnet-C to Telguard, I to recognize some techs. at Telguard
just by their voice.  It's not just issues with simply hooking it up
at the panel, sometimes there are database issues and one I ran into -
a ten digit acct. number that's not compatible.

>I noticed many folks posting
>with free legal advice. Would a real lawyer post here giving free advice?
>Who goes to a plumber to get their teeth fixed? I don't believe adding
>contract disputes and lawyers to the mix is very helpful. Especially since I
>think in the original post someone was looking for a simple equipment
>suggestion. Perhaps a "after checking your attorney to see if your contract
>allows this" you may wish to try (fill in the blank) product. I suspect by
>now the poor cutomer has left this thread shaking his head convinced no one
>posting here has any idea of what they are talking about.

We're in this industry together.  Would you like it if I told one of
your clients that was under your contract how to add a cell backup?
You would be mad because he's fucking with the operation of the panel
to send signals to your CS.  That's a violation of your terms - no?
Who's he gonna blame if something DOES go wrong - you got it bucko - .

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)