Re: Suggestion for box where alarm monitoring failovers from landline to cell phone - when landline is cut.

Robert L Bass wrote:

> Of the individuals who post here regularly, you are the last one who should ever speak of ingenuity, integrity, honesty or
> helpfulness.  None of these traits have ever been attributed to you.

That's probably because they've never been called into question...
Unlike you...

> You're taking about a case involving *gross negligence.*  The contract was over ruled by the court because of the professional alarm
> company's misdeeds.  Gross negligence is a tortious act for which numerous professional alarm companies have been sued.  It has
> nothing to do with a customer providing an alternate telephone path.

In this instance, you're completely wrong (as usual).  One of the
customer's employees actually bypassed the fire zone because of numerous
falses from the fire alarm panel.  The judge in the case held Chubb
partially responsible because there was no evidence they had ever
complied with the ULC certificate's requirements of an annual inspection
(the certificate is issued for five years and requires annual checks and
signatures to remain in full force and effect).

> We are talking about contractual liability and the idiotic assertion that if a customer provides his own cellular backup his
> contract would be voided.

Standard contract wording should include:

"The Subscriber shall forthwith notify *** of any structural alteration
or any other modification which might affect the Alarm System or the
operation thereof.  Any alteration of  the Alarm System which may
thereby become necessary shall be made by *** at the Subscriber?s expense."

"No repairs, replacements and adjustments shall be made to the Alarm
System by any person other than a duly authorized representative of ***."

> If a contract is voided, neither party has any further responsibility to the other.

Wrong.  If the contract is voided by something the customer does (adding
a component such as cellular backup on his own), the company can void
the contract and any monitoring or service charges to the end of the
contract term becomes immediately due and payable.  If the customer
doesn't own the equipment in the first place, that means he loses his
alarm system as well.

> If it's voided, the
> client doesn't have to pay for monitoring and the alarm company doesn't doesn't have to provide monitoring services.  Suffice it to
> say that no greedy alarm company is gooing to let their vict... er, customers off the hook just because they install their own
> cellular backup.  As I said earlier, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I figure the individual that has "no idea what he's talking about" is
you.  I'd suggest you have another look at that Slomins contract you
"say" you've read.

>>All of the individuals *in the trade* that
>>post here are either owners, managers,
>>or employees of alarm companies...
>

> All except you, Olson.  You're a counter clerk at a small distributor.

Prove it Bass.  Where do I work?  Post the name of my company.

> No one *in the trade* anywhere in or around Vancouver ever
> heard of you

You know...  I've never collected a pay-cheque as "Olson".  My license
isn't in that name either.  I'm not in the least surprised no one's
heard of me.

> with one exception.  A woman at one company that you once worked for stated that you had been there but had left.
> Asked if you would be eligible for rehire, she said absolutely not.

Now this statement is particularly remarkable.  Where did you ever dream
up something like this??!!  And who's the "woman at one company"??