Re: RCR- Pet Motion Detector Problems

"Andrew & Adair Wood" <andrewandadairwoodNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Tmv_g.101$x87.79@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I hope someone here will be kind enough to assist with my problem.  I am
>not a professional installer, but a FAIRLY knowledgeable end-user.  In the
>living room of my home, I have a G.E. "RCR-Pet" motion detector. This is
>the second unit of this type my installer and I have tried.  The first such
>sensor was installed over a year ago when another technology (floor-joist
>load-cells) proved unsuitable.  The load-cells themselves were a
>replacement for another brand of motion detector which proved unsuitable.
>
> The sensor is mounted SLIGHTLY above the maximum recommended height - the
> top of the sensor is at 8ft. 1in. above the floor.  It is mounted on an
> "over-hang" prohibiting lowering it, if the 1-inch overage was actually
> significant.  There is a 10lb cat as well as 2 dogs in the room.  The dogs
> are large (Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Saint Bernard/Collie cross) BUT they
> are crated when the system is armed.  The Saint Collie's crate is BEHIND
> the sensor, under the over-hang, outside of the coverage pattern.  The
> ridgeback's crate is outside of the sensor's set range and was, until
> recently, outside of the coverage pattern.  She is also smaller than the
> 80lb immunity claimed for the unit.
>
> When the first sensor was first installed, it was mounted flush to the
> wall of the over-hang.  It was set to detect only within 9 feet.  I
> noticed a problem: it did not "catch" well for people passing through the
> most likely path of an intruder in the room.  We installed a
> "swivel-bracket" and angled the unit approx. 45 degrees toward the
> ridgeback's crate, which is approximately 12 feet from the unit.  During
> walk-testing, catch was improved noticeably.
>
> A few days ago, the sensor falsed.  Afterward, I noticed it was detecting
> BEYOND the set 9 foot range.  Suspecting the unit was defective, my
> installer and I replaced it.  The new unit is also detecting beyond the 9
> foot range, as well as detecting BEHIND the unit (despite the fact that
> G.E. advertises no "back-lobe").  The unit is still on the
> "swivel-bracket", but is now oriented straight ahead as the first one was.
> I have an "RCR-A" in the master-bedroom (no animals in there when system
> is armed) and it's range-detection is flawless.
>
> Have we gotten 2 lemons, or is this model junk?  Thanks in advance for any
> help.
>
> Andrew Wood
You can try the Honeywell IS2535
http://www.security.honeywell.com/hsce/products/sensor/mo/pi/50248.html , I
haven't had any problems with them... Be WARNED, when it comes to cats
getting up on bookshelves, China cabinets, and other tall furniture, THERE
ISN'T A MOTION on the market that won't false... I no longer use any GE
sensor of any kind, the GE Bean Counters have totally Bastardized most of
the product lines/companies that were purchased by GE... They run their
security manufacturing business like their appliance business, which means
they're selling gift wrapped Terds to everyone... :-))