Re: Longest distance between camera and PC?

I want to get a surveillance camera to play around with in connection with
an
> old PC that I'll put Linux and whatever freebie surveillance software I
> can find
> on.
Good luck. I am sure it will be worth what you pay for it.

> 1) What should I be thinking for the max allowable cable run between
> 'puter and
>   camera?.

It depends on how you wire them. a) RJ-45 = 100 Meters. RG-59 or RG-6 = up
to 800' to 1500' respectively (in some cases more) with a whole lot of
variables to contend with. b) Twisted sender = thousands of feet with a
whole lot of variables to contend with. c) Fiber = miles in some cases with
a whole lot of variables to contend with. d)Wireless 802.11 (a or b) WITH A
directional  antennae of the proper dB gain = more miles with a whole, whole
lot of variables to contend with. (Don't forget the cable itself must be out
of door/UV rated.)

>2) Are most "outdoor" cameras weatherproof enough to survive salt air
>exposure?
There are no real out door cameras, it is the enclosure you put them in.

 >3) I'm thinking Digital, Black-And-White, able to see at night, as many
lines as
> I can get.   Brand/model recommendations?

State the budget first then ask the model/brand. Outdoor Thermal Imaging
cameras can be had from 10K to 90K. That in you budget?