Trouble with high beam/kill switch in Subaru Outback...

Hi all,

I bought a '96 Subaru (Legacy) Outback a couple of years ago.  It has
some sort of aftermarket kill switch/security system installed and
won't start unless you flash high beams while turning the key.

In the past it has always been fine ... but it has started getting
cranky recently and the car often refuses to start, usually at the most
inconvenient time.  The first couple of times it happened, I
disconnected the battery and it started right up, but that has stopped
working.  So now I just randomly do stuff until it starts, like lock
and unlock the doors, open and close the hood, open and close the
hatch, jump up and down on the front bumper, etc.  Eventually I'll do
something and it will start....

Does anyone have any more details about this system?  I've Googled but
can't find anything, so I don't know what "activates" it.  I'm the
third owner of the car ... it was installed by the original owner and
the guy I bought it from doesn't know anything other than the bit about
the high beams.

I really just want to remove/disable it.   Any tips on where to look?
I've looked under the hood and don't see anything that looks
aftermarket, and I didn't see any weirdness in either of the fuse
boxes.

If I take it to a car audio shop will they be able to find it?  I
really want to avoid taking it to the Subaru dealer...they charge an
arm and a leg to do anything.

Thanks,
Adam