Re: Where to place smokes/heat?

Well I don't do much residential stuff. However let's pretend that this
isn't a home. There are detailed specs for the installation of fire systems.
Once one determines a number of variables you can have a detailed spec that
nearly everyone can agree on. A home actually has set of specs that apply to
it and therefore can be agreed to by almost any company that does fire. If
you have a set of accurate drawings for your home (CAD not Visio) there are
residential fire planners that will (for a fee) design a system and "stamp
it" showing exactly how many of what type heat/smoke etc. (over the current
system) and where to put it. There may be more devices on the plan than just
the smoke/heat detectors. They may put additional sounders in as well.
Once armed with those stamped plans you could get a better bid spec for
different companies to use to create a bid from.